Food and gastronomy
It’s hot, very hot in Belgium this week! A temperature that sometimes reduces appetite. So we’ve come up with an extremely refreshing recipe to eat when the mercury explodes.
In case of heat, nothing is better than raw vegetables and delicious fresh fruits. The recipe for The Perfect Salad by Kitchen151 chef and brand new Streetfood cookbook Simone El Harar is to load up on healthy veggies, great anise-flavored fennel, oranges, pomegranate seeds or even pecans. In short, happiness!
The Perfect Salad by Simone El Harar
Ingredients for 4 people):
- 1 orange
- 1 or 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 bunch of small radish
- 1 large romaine lettuce
- 1 teaspoon of amba
- 1 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 large pinch of sea salt
- 1 large handful of pecans or walnuts of your choice
- Start by removing the pomegranate seeds.
- Peel the orange, then use a sharp knife to cut through the raw flesh: it’s a bit tedious, but worth it.
- Thinly slice the fennel bulbs from top to bottom. Cut the radish into 2 parts. Roughly chop the romaine lettuce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the amba, grenadine molasses, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- In a large bowl, put the pomegranate seeds, orange slices, fennel, radishes and lettuce leaves and mix.
- Top with vinaigrette and toss again.
- Finish with your choice of pecans or walnuts.